Debates may rage, arguments follow and protests be lodged, but here are our all time favourite drum solos as performed and recorded by the giants of percussion.
NOTE: A list of 100 great drum breaks and ‘swapped fours’ will follow but this may take some time for research and final agreement by a panel of judges including Lord Rimshot of the Institute of Rhythmic Studies.
TITLE / PERFORMER ARTIST / GROUP
- The Time Machine / Jon Hiseman Colosseum
- Skin Deep / Louie Bellson Duke Ellington
- Sounds of The Loop / Joe Morello Dave Brubeck
- A Night in Tunisia / Art Blakey Jazz Messengers
- Sing, Sing, Sing / Gene Krupa Benny Goodman
- Drum Conversation / Max Roach Parker/Gillespie
- Old Man River / Sonny Payne Count Basie
- Seamen’s Mission / Phil Seamen Victor Feldman
- A Fifth For Frank / Frankie Butler Curtis Counce
- Hi Fly Drums / Buddy Rich Woody Herman
NOTE: We would like to have included any solos by Billy Cobham, ‘Philly’ Joe Jones, Zutty Singleton, Big Sid Catlett, Jo Jones, Lou Fromm, Charlie Persip, Ronnie Verrell, Lionel Hampton, Ginger Baker, John Bonham, Cozy Powell, Mitch Mitchell, Carl Palmer and Sandy Nelson but space and our ear drums do not allow any further indulgence – at present.